Dosage For Nonvaginal Candidiasis
- Typical dosage: Depending on the type of infection you have, your daily dose could be between 50 mg and 400 mg.
- Treatment length: Treatment can last up to several weeks.
- Typical dosage: Dosage depends on the weight of the child taking the drug, and the type of infection being treated.
- Treatment length: The length of treatment depends on the infection being treated.
Use of this drug isnt recommended in infants younger than 6 months.
The kidneys of older adults may not work as well as they used to. This can cause your body to process drugs more slowly. As a result, more of a drug stays in your body for a longer time. This raises your risk of side effects. Your doctor may start you on a lowered dose or a different dosing schedule. This can help keep levels of this drug from building up too much in your body.
Who Can And Cannot Take Fluconazole
Most adults and children can take fluconazole. It can also be prescribed for babies.
Fluconazole is not suitable for everyone. Tell a pharmacist or your doctor before taking it if you have:
- had an allergic reaction to fluconazole or any other medicines in the past
- heart disease, including heart rhythm problems
- kidney or liver problems
- a rare, inherited blood disorder called acute porphyria
- had a blood test that showed you have abnormal levels of potassium, calcium or magnesium
More Common Side Effects
The more common side effects of fluconazole oral tablet depend on how much of the drug you need to take. These side effects can include:
- changes in the way food tastes
- severe rash in people with lowered immunity
If these effects are mild, they may go away within a few days or a couple of weeks. If theyre more severe or dont go away, talk with your doctor or pharmacist.
You May Like: Can Food Allergies Cause Ear Infections
Also Check: Why Do I Get Yeast Infections So Often
Drugs That Should Not Be Used With Fluconazole
There are certain drugs that you should not use with fluconazole. When used with fluconazole, these drugs can cause dangerous effects in your body. Examples of these drugs include:
- Terfenadine. When used with fluconazole at doses of 400 mg or higher, this drug can cause a life-threatening heart rhythm condition called torsades de pointes.
- Pimozide, clarithromycin, erythromycin, ranolazine, lomitapide, donepezil, voriconazole, and quinidine. When used with fluconazole, these drugs can cause a life-threatening heart rhythm condition called torsades de pointes.
Donât Miss: Amoxicillin Dosage For Ear Infection
What Are Some Side Effects That I Need To Call My Doctor About Right Away
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash hives itching red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever wheezing tightness in the chest or throat trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking unusual hoarseness or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of liver problems like dark urine, feeling tired, not hungry, upset stomach or stomach pain, light-colored stools, throwing up, or yellow skin or eyes.
- Signs of a weak adrenal gland like a very bad upset stomach or throwing up, very bad dizziness or passing out, muscle weakness, feeling very tired, mood changes, not hungry, or weight loss.
- A type of abnormal heartbeat has happened with this medicine . Sometimes, this has led to another type of unsafe abnormal heartbeat . Call your doctor right away if you have a fast or abnormal heartbeat, or if you pass out.
Don’t Miss: How To Cure Yeast Infection While Pregnant
Best For Men: Lotrimin Af Jock Itch Antifungal Cream
Relieves burning, itching, and irritation
This antifungal cream is marketed for a general jock itch, but reviewers say it relieves itching, burning, and other symptoms of yeast infections. Its tough on yeast and other fungi, yet gentle enough for use around the groin. The active ingredient is 1% clotrimazole, which is a strong antifungal. Reviewers also note it worked quickly to cure symptoms and wasnt bothersome at all.
Active Ingredients: Clomitrazole | Doses: Multiple | Uses: Relieves itching and burning
Recommended Reading: Can You Cure A Bladder Infection Without Antibiotics
What Are Some Other Side Effects Of Fluconazole Tablets
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
- Change in taste.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
Read Also: Male Yeast Infection Won T Go Away
Meningitis Due To Candida Sp
Very few data exist on fluconazoleâs efficacy for the initial treatment of Candida sp. meningitis in adults, although this drug has a very good CSF penetration. Oral fluconazole was successful for the treatment of a C. albicans meningitis in an HIV-infected patient with a CD4 cell count of 35 cells/mm3 who refused intravenous therapy.
Donât Miss: Urinary Tract Infection How To Treat Without Antibiotics
What Are Warnings And Precautions For Fluconazole
- This medication contains fluconazole. Do not take Diflucan if you are allergic to fluconazole or any ingredients contained in this drug.
- Keep out of reach of children. In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immediately
- This medication contains fluconazole
- Do not take Diflucan if you are allergic to fluconazole or any ingredients contained in this drug
Effects of Drug Abuse
- Syrup contains glycerol may cause headache, stomach upset, and diarrhea
- When driving vehicles or operating machines, it should be taken into account that dizziness or seizures may occasionally occur
- See What Are Side Effects Associated with Using Fluconazole ?
- See What Are Side Effects Associated with Using Fluconazole ?
Single maternal oral dose of 150 mg for vaginal candidiasis:
All other indications:
- A few published case reports describe a rare pattern of distinct congenital anomalies in infants exposed in-utero to high dose maternal fluconazole during most or all of the first trimester
Don’t Miss: Yeast Infection Under Belly Fat Treatment
Adverse Reactions In Children
The pattern and incidence of adverse events and laboratory abnormalities recorded during pediatric clinical trials are comparable to those seen in adults.
In Phase II/III clinical trials conducted in the United States and in Europe, 577 pediatric patients, ages 1 day to 17 years were treated with DIFLUCAN at doses up to 15 mg/kg/day for up to 1,616 days. Thirteen percent of children experienced treatment-related adverse events. The most commonly reported events were vomiting , abdominal pain , nausea , and diarrhea . Treatment was discontinued in 2.3% of patients due to adverse clinical events and in 1.4% of patients due to laboratory test abnormalities. The majority of treatment-related laboratory abnormalities were elevations of transaminases or alkaline phosphatase.
How To Cope With Side Effects
What to do about:
- headache rest and drink plenty of fluids. Do not drink too much alcohol. Ask a pharmacist to recommend a painkiller if you need one. Talk to your doctor if the headaches last longer than a week or are severe.
- stomach pain try to rest and relax. It can help to eat and drink slowly and have smaller and more frequent meals. Putting a heat pad or covered hot water bottle on your tummy may also help. If you are in a lot of pain, speak to a doctor or pharmacist.
- diarrhoea drink lots of fluids, such as water or squash, to avoid dehydration. Speak to a pharmacist if you have signs of dehydration, such as peeing less than usual or having dark, strong-smelling pee. Do not take any other medicines to treat diarrhoea without speaking to a pharmacist or doctor.
- feeling or being sick stick to simple meals and do not eat rich or spicy food. If you are being sick, try small, frequent sips of water to avoid dehydration. It might help to take your fluconazole after a meal or snack.
- rash it may help to take an antihistamine, which you can buy from a pharmacy. Check with the pharmacist to see what type is right for you. If the rash gets worse, or does not get better after a week, speak to your doctor.
Recommended Reading: Best Food For Yeast Infection
Drug Interactions With Fluconazole
Unfortunately, fluconazole can interact with other medications.
- Fluconazole should not be taken with the HMG Co-A reductase inhibitor simvastatin, and the dose of atorvastatin should be reduced. Pravastatin and rosuvastatin are preferable. Toxicity results in muscle pain and weakness, which may be serious.
Fluconazole may increase the concentration of these drugs and enhance their effect:
Usual Adult Dose For Vaginal Candidiasis
150 mg orally as a single doseInfectious Diseases Society of America Recommendations:
- Uncomplicated vaginitis: 150 mg orally as a single dose
- Management of recurrent vulvovaginal candidiasis : 150 mg orally once a week for 6 months
- Complicated vulvovaginal candidiasis: 150 mg orally every 72 hours for 3 doses
US CDC Recommendations:
- Uncomplicated vulvovaginal candidiasis: 150 mg orally as a single dose
- Initial therapy for recurrent vulvovaginal candidiasis: 100 to 200 mg orally every 72 hours for 3 doses
- Maintenance therapy for recurrent vulvovaginal candidiasis: 100 to 200 mg orally once a week for 6 months
- Severe vulvovaginal candidiasis: 150 mg orally every 72 hours for 2 doses
US CDC, National Institutes of Health , and IDSA Recommendations for HIV-infected Patients:
- Uncomplicated vulvovaginal candidiasis: 150 mg orally as a single dose
- Severe or recurrent vulvovaginal candidiasis: 100 to 200 mg orally once a day for at least 7 days
- Suppressive therapy for vulvovaginal candidiasis: 150 mg orally once a week
Read Also: Treatment For Yeast Infection In Dog Ears
Fluconazole In Adult Neutropenic Patients With Systemic Candidiasis
Chronic disseminated candidiasis is mostly observed in neutropenic patients with haematological malignancies. Its incidence ranges from 3 to 7% and is decreasing following the common practice of fluconazole as a prophylactic regimen in haematology patients., The efficacy of fluconazole in that setting was evaluated only in observational or retrospective studies., Anaissie et al. reported an 88% rate of cure in a series of 20 patients either resistant or intolerant to amphotericin B after prescription of fluconazole . Kauffman et al. similarly reported 100% success in six patients resistant to amphotericin B . Several authors believe that the daily dosage should be raised to 600800 mg/day. In conclusion, fluconazole cannot be used as first line treatment in the setting of systemic candidiasis among neutropenic patients. It is recommended when switching initial amphotericin B therapy to oral maintenance regimen, if the patient was not previously on fluconazole prophylaxis and was not known to be colonized/infected with a less-susceptible or resistant strain. Treatment should be maintained for months, until disappearance of calcification of the lesions, especially if further antineoplastic drugs courses have to be administered.
Read Also: Do Yeast Infections Get Worse Before They Get Better
Can Fluconazole Take More Than 72 Hours/150 Mg To Treat A Yeast Infection
A few days after sexual intercourse, I had a UTI and took nitrofurantoin two times a day for seven days. The UTI symptoms disappeared within a day and I finished out the medication.
A day or so later, I had a yeast infection that I assumed was caused by the antibiotic. I took 150 mg of fluconazole to clear up the infection and it began to take effect immediately. I was told to take a second dose of 150 mg in 72 hours. The symptoms cleared up within the 72 hour timeframe and I did not take the 2nd dose. One week after the symptoms cleared up, I got another yeast infection, this one much more severe. I took 150 mg of fluconazole and 72 hours later, it has yet to clear up. I do not have discharge, but my labia is red and tender to the touch. It’s painful to urinate. I think the itching has subsided and now my labia simply feels raw and severely tender.
I am awaiting test results for trichomoniasis, gonorrhea, and chlamydia. I had the tests done after my first yeast infection, as well as a gynecological exam to check for herpes, abrasions, etc.. Because I hadn’t heard back in 10+ days, I assumed the results were negative. . However, when I called the office for my own peace of mind, I learned the office had lost my labs.
I know this is all a moot point and I should simply wait for my STI results or to be tested again. These STIs are all treatable and if I have one, I simply want to be on medication and treated because this has been an extremely uncomfortable few weeks.
Don’t Miss: Best Probiotic For Dogs With Yeast In Ears
Warnings For People With Certain Health Conditions
For people with kidney disease: If you have kidney disease or a history of kidney disease, your kidneys may not be able to remove this drug from your body like they should. This may increase the levels of fluconazole in your body and cause more side effects. This drug may also make existing kidney disease worse.
People with liver problems: Fluconazole can cause liver problems. If you already have liver problems, talk with your healthcare professional before taking this drug.
People with high blood sugar levels: The oral suspension form of this drug contains sucrose, a kind of sugar. You shouldnt use this form of the drug if you have a condition that increases your blood sugar level. Talk with your doctor before using this drug if you have high blood sugar levels or a condition, such as diabetes, which can cause high blood sugar levels.
People with abnormal heart rhythms: Using fluconazole can affect your heart rhythm. If you already have an abnormal heart rhythm, taking fluconazole may lead to dangerous heart rhythm problems.
People with certain conditions that lower immunity: If you have certain conditions that lower your immunity, such as cancer, human immunodeficiency virus infection , or acquired immunodeficiency syndrome youre more likely to get a rash from fluconazole. Your doctor will monitor you for a rash and peeling skin.
Tinea Pedis And Onychomycosis
Tinea pedis is a common superficial fungal infection of the foot. Causes include T rubrum, T mentagrophytes and E floccosum. Although tinea pedis often spreads among household members, it is uncommon in young children . Individuals with Trisomy 21 or immune compromise have an increased susceptibility to dermatophyte infections. Onychomycosis may be caused by dermatophytes and by non-dermatophytes .
Many topical antifungals are effective against tinea pedis. Drying agents, such as Burows solution, may be a useful adjunct for macerated or vesicular lesions. Recurrence of the infection can be prevented with good foot hygiene. For infections involving the toenails , topical antifungal lacquers are an effective first-line therapy. However, oral therapy with terbinafine is indicated for refractory cases. A prolonged course of oral therapy of at least 6 weeks and 12 weeks is needed for cases where the nail matrix is involved. Treatment may sometimes be required for months to a year. Terbinafine has excellent action against dermatophytes, but is less effective for Candida onychomycosis, and these cases are best treated with azoles. Nail clippings sent for culture allow differentiation between dermatophyte and non-dermatophytic fungal nail infections. In difficult-to-clear infections, referral to an infectious diseases specialist is highly recommended. There are no established paediatric dosing guidelines for oral itraconazole to manage superficial mycoses -.
Also Check: Best Medicine For Yeast Infection In Female
How Does This Medication Work What Will It Do For Me
Fluconazole 150 mg capsules are an antifungal medication used to treat vaginal yeast infections caused by the yeast known as Candida. It works by stopping the growth of Candida. It usually starts to work within one day, but it may take 3 days for your symptoms to improve and up to 7 days for your symptoms to disappear.
This medication may be available under multiple brand names and/or in several different forms. Any specific brand name of this medication may not be available in all of the forms or approved for all of the conditions discussed here. As well, some forms of this medication may not be used for all of the conditions discussed here.
Your doctor may have suggested this medication for conditions other than those listed in these drug information articles. If you have not discussed this with your doctor or are not sure why you are taking this medication, speak to your doctor. Do not stop taking this medication without consulting your doctor.
Do not give this medication to anyone else, even if they have the same symptoms as you do. It can be harmful for people to take this medication if their doctor has not prescribed it.
Are There Any Other Precautions Or Warnings For This Medication
Before you begin using a medication, be sure to inform your doctor of any medical conditions or allergies you may have, any medications you are taking, whether you are pregnant or breast-feeding, and any other significant facts about your health. These factors may affect how you should use this medication.
General: If this is your first yeast infection, if you have frequent yeast infections or heart disease, if you have another yeast infection within 2 months after taking this medication, or if you have multiple sexual partners or change partners often, talk to your doctor or pharmacist before taking this medication. This medication should only be taken as a single dose.
The following symptoms are not caused by a yeast infection. Contact your doctor for treatment advice, if you experience them:
- lower back or shoulder pain
- nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea
- painful urination
If your symptoms have not improved in 3 days or disappeared in 7 days, contact your doctor.
Grapefruit juice: Taking fluconazole at the same time as drinking grapefruit juice may cause fluconazole to build up in the body and cause side effects. Avoid drinking grapefruit juice if you are taking this medication.
Intercourse and birth control: Vaginal intercourse should be avoided when women have a yeast infection. This will help reduce the risk of infecting your sexual partner.
Recommended Reading: How To Make A Tooth Infection Stop Hurting
Don’t Miss: How To Know If You Have Yeast Infection Female